Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Your Legacy

I am enjoying Faithful Women & Their Extraordinary God by Noel Piper. It is a collection of short biographies of Christian women. The section on Sarah Edwards, wife of pastor Jonathan Edwards, was powerful and challenging. She was a wife/mother/home educator who glorified God through her home.

She left behind a legacy through her 11 children when she died in 1758 that is quite incredible. In 1900, A. E. Winship researched and wrote of the outstanding contributions made by the descendants of Jonathan & Sarah Edwards. Listed below is some of what he found. Note that this study was done in 1900--I am sure there have been further contributions since that time!

  • 13 college presidents
  • 65 professors
  • 100 lawyers and dean of a law school
  • 30 judges
  • 66 physicians and a dean of a medical school
  • 80 holders of public office ( including 3 US Senators, 3 state governors, and a vice president of the US)
  • entered ministry "in platoons"
  • sent 100 missionaries overseas

Amazing right? It truly is amazing what God can do through "ordinary" women when they choose to faithfully submit to their husbands and bring their children up "in the admonition of the Lord." I was so challenged in reading her story. All mothers have such an opportunity and responsibility to pour the love and knowledge of Christ into their children and prepare them to serve God in mighty ways.

What will my legacy be as a mother? What will yours be? Will our legacy be one that brings honor and glory to our Savior? Our legacy is made in those small, everyday moments as we reflect Christ to those around us!

14 comments:

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Reading things like this really brings home how important our calling is to be godly helpmeets. Great post...I'm adding that book to my Amazon wishlist!

Xandra

Melissa said...

Wow...what a testimony!

That book looks great. I'll have to check it out.

Natalie said...

Good to have you back...

Lisa Spence said...

I read that book a few months ago--very inspiring!

Much Ado said...

I really must get this book, I have heard lots of good reports about it. I really enjoyed Noel Piper's book on Family Traditions. Thanks for the review.

Susie said...

This is so encouraging as I often think, "Is what I'm doing having a real impact?" Thanks for sharing this book. I hadn't heard of it before.

Lisa Hellier said...

All right, I've heard too much about this book--I obviously need to get off my duff and begin reading it. The legacy question strikes both fear and hope into my heart--may God's grace be the root of any legacy!

Jamie said...

That is amazing and oh so inspiring!

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow, that is incredible.
So encouraging. . . .and overwhelming!

Veronica @ A Quiet Heart said...

I read this book about 2 years ago, and this chapter on Sarah Edwards was probably my favorite.
I love biographies, and I was so encouraged and challenged by reading about the lives of these godly women.
Those "everyday moments"... I only pray that they do reflect Christ to those around me!!

Loraena Tuttle said...

I loved this book!

Kimberly said...

Excellent post! It goes right along with your other one as far as what are my children seeing me model. I am touching generations DAILY. Wow. Makes me wanna pray even more!!! :)

Wendy said...

Excellent questions! I really liked this book too!

Susanne said...

This sounds like a wonderfully encouraging and challenging book. Perfect for Mother's Day