Friday, December 01, 2006

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking . . .


Those little eyes are always watching, and soaking it in. That certainly gives me pause!

"When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me and I learned that little things can be the special things in life.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I knew there is a God I could always talk to and I learned to trust in God.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care ofeach other.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don't.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I felt you kiss me good night and I felt loved and safe.
When you though I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good and I learned that Iwould have to be responsible when I grow up.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but its all right to cry.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be everything that I could be.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be good and productive person when I grow up.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say,Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.'"
Each of us - parent, grandparent or friend - influence the life of a child.

--author unknown

5 comments:

Hen Jen said...

Kelly, the last two posts have been so touching. I really like this. makes you think about everything you do...
I might have to steal, uh borrow this...

I tagged you for a meme over at my blog. Hope you can play!

blessings,
jenny

Paula said...

I have also loved your last two post. Such a gentle reminder of the important things in life...FAMILY! We all need it especially this time of year.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! My husband and I have been having alot of conversations lately about parenting. This is something we have talked about, "our kids are watching everything!"

I am going to put this in my file for future reference.

Kimber said...

aaawww :)

Kids really "see" it all - don't they :)

carmilevy said...

I have always loved this. A copy of it resides permanently in my writer's portfolio.

Nice to e-meet you. You have an inspirational blog.